Saturday, April 24, 2010

 

Lovely Weekend!

It's gorgeous today- hopefully Spring has well and truly sprung. I walked along the canal to Morrisons earlier and saw some tiny, fluffy baby coots.

I haven't been all that active I have to admit, although I have been for some shortish runs. I went for a walk last Saturday- about 10 miles round Bassingfield, Holme Pierrepont and the Trent.

Bassingfield is a small hamlet nearby, set into the green belt. Unfortunately there are plans to build a massive football stadium and hotel, park and ride, plus a development of over 4,000 new houses on the green belt! Apparently the government are leaning on the council to authorise so many new housing developments on rural land... this will be an absolute nightmare, and such a shame. We are losing too much of our countryside- I am not disputing that more housing is needed but surely there are lots of brownfield sites which could be developed instead??

I took some photos of the area which could soon be buried under the proposed development;


                                          Bassingfield

There is a footpath from Bassingfield to the A52...


The A52 is a busy nightmare of a dual carriageway but at least there are traffic lights and crossing places where the footpath brings you out. Straight opposite a byway passes the fishing lakes and leads to Holme Pierrepont.

It looked lovely with the spring blossom out. I ambled along the road a bit and then took a walk up to the drive to see Holme Pierrepont Hall;

                                          Holme Pierrepont Hall

Unfortunately the grounds are private- I was leaning over a locked gate to take the photo!

I followed a road round the top of the boating lake, which became a track and eventually led past some smaller lakes before reaching the River Trent;

The path followed the River Trent all the way back to Trent Locks and the Watersports Centre. I could look over to the other side and see the paths I used to take when I lived in Netherfield... it's a shame that there isn't a crossing point over the Trent for pedestrians here as it would be great to be able to wander over to Colwick Park.

                                            Trent Locks

I walked back along the White Water rapids- these look terrific fun!



I have decided to do the 10th 'Valley and Views' tomorrow from Wilbarston near Market Harborough. Time I got my lardy arse moving again!! It is going to be a lovely day again tomorrow and I know I will regret it if I don't do it. Luckily you can just turn up any time between 7:30 and 9:00am, pay and collect a route description. It's only £3.50 so good value- should be a good day!

Labels: ,


Comments:
Hi Steph,

How did you get on with the Valley & Views ?

I started at 8:50am on the long route so was pretty much the backmarker.

Thoroughky enjoyed it, but my back and feet complain vociferously towards the end.
 
Hi Ross, I wimped out of it when I heard the rain as I wasn't feeling too great- and am kind of regretting it now!

Well done, sounds as though it was a good day out, I really should have made the effort!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?