Tuesday, May 25, 2010

 

Where's The Sun Gone Then??

It was absolutely gorgeous over the weekend. Really hot with lovely cloudless blue skies... we are now back to a covering of grey so maybe that was summer!

I took advantage though and decided to do a 15 mile walk, setting off for Radcliffe-on-Trent and the Trent Valley Way. It was so hot, I took my SLR camera and decided to walk rather than run. I set off past the National Water Sports Centre and followed the road which eventually leads to a path through playing fields to Radcliffe-on-Trent. This is part of the Trent Valley Way, and on reaching Radcliffe, it becomes a lovely path at the top of the cliffs rising above the River Trent. I could see right across to the path on the other side of the river I used to use when I lived in Netherfield!

You can just about spot the retail park in the distance...

I found a path down to the river and followed this for a bit to see where it led- it led to a large weir I had never noticed before!


                                    
Shortly after the weir, I climbed back up to the Trent Valley Way, which became a path through fields of rape- there is something really pleasing about the sight of the bright yellow against a deep blue sky- or maybe I am slightly sad!!


The path dropped to the Trent, which I followed to the Ferryboat Inn- seemed awfully strange being on this side of the River... it's a bit of a shame really that there isn't a crossing between the bridges of Lady Bay and Gunthorpe.

I followed a lovely little country lane up to the village of Sheldon;

Sheldon is a lovely little village, so I had a little wander around it and up a couple of lanes.

                                           Sheldon Church

It was very very hot, and I was starting to run low on liquid, so had to start limiting myself- not the best of ideas! I had originally intended to go further and eventually reach the A52, but decided to cut the route slightly shorter- it looked as though it was going to be around 15 miles anyway. There was a footpath running from the village along the top of the rape field, joining up with the Trent Valley way, which was well maintained and a pleasure to follow.

When I reached Radcliffe-on-Trent I was starting to suffer a bit with the heat, and was probably getting a little dehydrated, so detoured to the Co-op and bought a bottle of ice cold mineral water- pure bliss! There was even a public toilet opposite- luxury!!

I walked back to the playing fields where there had been a football match in full progress. Only there wasn't any more- just a couple of ambulances in the middle of the pitch attending some poor soul who had obviously been overcome by the heat...

By the time I got back to the main road I had done just over 14 miles, so despite feeling hot, tired and in desparate need of a shower, I decided to walk up the canal to try to make it a full 15 miles.

                                          The Canal- Near My House!

By the time I reached the bridge leading to my house, I had done 14 1/2 miles, so with a supreme effort of will I forced myself to battle through duck feeders, small children and cyclists to the next bridge and walk back home- clocking up exactly 15 miles! I now have a slightly sunburned nose (must have missed it with the suncream!)

I am quite tempted to try to walk the Trent Valley Way one day... I believe it's around 77 miles though... right, suppose I had better get back out there again!!

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?