Thursday, June 17, 2010

 

Nice Out Again...

I have still been quite active! Decided to do an 18 miler Sunday, which actually ended up being 18.75 miles (probably cos I got a bit lost!)

I followed the Trent Valley Way past Holme Pierrepont to Radcliffe-on-Trent, and then along the path at the top of the cliff, through the fields and by the River Trent to Shelford as before, then left the village by a footpath leading up to the Radcliffe/ East Bridgford Road.

                                          Shelford

The path zig zagged round crop fields before climbing up to the road, giving an excellent view over the Trent Valley;

                                          Trent Valley

I intended to take a Bridleway which eventually leads to the A46. I figured it would be closed off at some point, but a footpath leads from it down to Saxondale Village and the A52 road. The path lead towards some RAF buildings; I had noticed that it skirted some houses, which I had assumed were the abandoned and derelict ones originally occupied by RAF staff and their families. I was busy scoffing an energy bar, so when I saw hoof prints travelling left along the field edge, I didn't bother looking at the map and followed them past the RAF buildings.

I realised I was nearing the houses, and instead of the derelict, empty shells I was expecting, I was quite surprised to see washing hanging out and cars in drives! All the houses looked very much occupied, and I started to imagine I had gone back in time! I passed a garden with an elderly couple sitting in the sun- they called a cheery hello and I was tempted to ask them what year it was!

I stopped and consulted the map- and discovered I was in the village of Newton- the abandoned houses were further on- Newton is very much alive and kicking! The trouble was, I shouldn't have been there... I should have turned right instead of left when I saw the hoof tracks. I retraced my steps, and, sure enough, there were markers directing riders around the RAF site.

A new dog training centre had been built where the footpath branches off, and the path wasn't signed, so I followed a track to the corner of the wood where the map reassured me I would pick the path up- and I did, so my navigational skills can't be all that bad!

The path was well signed following this, and I reached the A52 without any problems. This was the least fun part of the walk as I had to walk/ run alongside the busy road- luckily there is a footpath/ cycle path.

When I got back to Radcliffe-on-Trent, I ran through the town centre and retraced my route home, I actually managed to run quite a lot of it so am quite happy.

I went out for another run/ walk Tuesday night- more walking than running cos I was chatting to both sisters for most of it. I walked up the road towards Tollerton to pick up the footpath to Cotgrave. Some good paths had been created through the crop field- unfortunately one had overgrown so much it was almost impassable- I felt like Indiana Jones creeping through the jungle! I took a photo with my phone;

                                          Somewhat Overgrown Path!

The paths were ok after this, and I managed to run quite a bit;


I took a different path just before Cotgrave, and cut through field to the canal, then back home along the canal- about 6 1/4 miles.

Tonight I have done... nothing! But I have had an incredibly difficult day...

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?