Saturday, July 31, 2010

 

Not Been A Great Week...

I have been quite ill this week so haven't really done anything from Tuesday night onwards...

Sunday was the Race For Life at the Watersports Centre at Holme Pierrepont. I had never done this before as it seems a little cheeky asking people to sponsor me for running 3 miles when I got all that sponsorship for MdS, but mum and sis Katie wanted to do it so I agreed to do it with them.

The weather was perfect- sunny and dry, but not too warm. There were literally thousands of participants, mostly dressed in pink Most people had a pink square detailing names of loved ones they had lost to cancer, or who are currently battling the disease, it was quite humbling.

We were given a mass warm up before the 'off' and set off around the lake- I guessed that the route would be a circuit of the Regatta Lake and I was correct. We walked mostly, although mum did manage a few jogs, and crossed the line in 48 minutes 15 seconds which she was happy with- she now says she has a PB to beat!! As we were nearly finishing we could still see loads and loads of people behind us, I think it must have taken some folks quite a time to pass the Start line. Here are a few pics;

                                          Katie, Mum And Me

                                           At The Head Of The Lake

                                           Looking Back

                                           After The Finish!

Tuesday night was the night I had chosen to do the 'Gym For Heroes' challenge at the gym- 1 hour on the rower, 1 hour on the stationary bike and 1 hour on either the treadmill or elliptical, with monies raised going towards 'Help For Heroes'. Although I had got some sponsorship, I hadn't taken this that seriously and had 'panic trained' the Sunday before by going on the rower for 20 minutes and the bike for 30 minutes. I was rather sore in, um, certain areas next day and seriously considered taking a cushion in!!

The event wasn't too bad in the end... the rower was the worst, mainly because it was boring, although I did get to watch a spin class. At one point it felt as though the nerves down the back of both legs were being trapped, but I put a spurt on at the end and managed 8,000 metres. One of the gym staff was doing the challenge too, and another was doing the 12 hour challenge- he must have been mad or very fit or both!! His wife, who had done the 3 hour challenge on Sunday, was supporting him and was also very supportive of me, cycling and running with me and generally keeping my spirits up which was really nice of her.

The bike seemed fairly easy, I kept the resistance light and pedalled quite fast, managing 20 miles and watching Eastenders. My legs felt a little wobbly afterwards, and it was an effort to get going on the treadmill. I could have walked my hour on the treadmill, but that would have been too easy, so decided I'd run for the hour. I had mentally set myself a 5 mile target- the last 20 minutes was really tough. We had been provided with special t-shirts to wear, but they weren't technical ones so mine was absolutely soaked through at that point- I could wring it out! Ross finished his 12 hour challenge, and then I heard my name being announced over the tannoy (luckily the gym wasn't busy!!) so that gave me a little spurt of extra energy!

I managed 5 miles on the rower, 20 on the bike and 5 on the treadmill, so am happy with that, especially as I didn't really do any special training for it. 

Next day I woke up with a headache- I assumed it was dehydration, and would go off if I drank plenty of water. It didn't- it got worse, to the point where nothing I did would relieve it, and I spent the morning and most of the afternoon throwing up! I don't think it was the challenge- I have done loads of physical stuff and nothing has ever made me physically sick, so I am convinced it was a bug of some sort. I have not felt that ill for absolutely ages- I am still not feeling 100% now- so am giving myself a few days rest from training.

Not for too long though- I have entered the Nottingham Ultra on 22nd August. This is a 50k race from Sherwood Forest to Nottingham Castle and is so local it would have been rude not to enter!

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Steph,
Me and a mate started the "Return the Dovedale Stepping Stones to their former natural glory!"Facebook site that's been featured on TV,radio and national newspapers all week.
I notice from your blog that you actually saw the stones being "renovated".If you took some photos could we be really cheeky and ask you if we could post some of them on the site.

We've currently got just under 700 members and we'd be more than happy to put a link to your blog on the site.If your interested my email is

mark.taylor0@talk21.com

all the best,mark.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?