Wednesday, October 13, 2010

 

My Challenge For 2011...

Ok. I decided that I need a challenge for next year... something to aim for to frighten me into training a little harder... I decided that it has to be something challenging, something inspiring- but something relatively cheap. Because I'm skint.

So, inspired by Ross's amazing efforts to complete 20 marathons in 2010 I started to think that it could be possible to complete a marathon in each English county... so that will be my challenge. To complete a marathon in each English county in 2011...

I decided that as far as possible I would stick to marathons recognised by the 100 Marathon Club (which is handy as they recognise most of the LDWA 26 mile events, which are greatly preferable to road marathons. Plus they still recognise them if you run, jog or walk, which is really handy for me!)

It's not quite as easy to organise as I first thought- for starters, there seem to be some disagreement over how many counties there actually are, as several have disappeared over the years- but after some research I am using this map as my guide. Of course, another little problem is the fact that many race organisers have decided to organise their marathons on the same day- and I haven't quite perfected the art of being in two places at once. I think I will need to complete a few back to back ones though.

There are also a few counties (step forwards Durham and Herefordshire) where I haven't been able to find a marathon- I may need to resort to completing my own 26 mile route in these counties.

I will probably raise money for charity if I can, so will look at getting something sorted...

Labels: ,


Comments:
'kin 'ell I'm famous !

'kin 'ell what a challenge !

'kin 'ell how many miles ?

Seriously though, very impressive, my little jaunts will have cost me £1500+ this year, so it's a major undertaking.

And more importantly I'm only going to be able to manage around 18 or 19 this year due to bad luck and cancellations, and I thought that was enough.

'kin 'ell !
 
Also, check out the Durham Dales Challenge.

http://www.walknortheast.org.uk/ddc2010.html

30miles in Durham (and possibly some of Nothumbria).
 
Ooh maybe it's not going to be as cheap as I thought!!

There's 40 modern counties, so thats- gulp- 1040 miles!!

18- 19 marathons is still a very impressive amount and much better than the paltry 3 I've managed so far this year. Thanks for the Durham Dales challenge link, hadn't heard of that one!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?