Monday, January 31, 2011

 

Not A Bad Week!

I've had quite a good week 'back' for a change! After my walk/ run and gym session I took Friday a little easier with a 3 mile walk round the circuit I use in the dark (as it's lit by streetlamps... roll on Summer then I can run in the country and round Holme Pierrepont again!)

Saturday I did a 13 mile circuit past Holme Pierrepont along the back roads and fields to Radcliffe-on-Trent, along the top of the cliffs giving the village its name, and ending up following the River Trent to Shelford before looping back across the fields to rejoin the cliff path.

I had two unfortunate encounters- the first was when jogging along the road out of Holme Pierrepont- a cyclist rode past, decked out in multi-coloured lycra, riding a top of the range bike (a Cannondale). As he rode past, I thought to myself 'That's a proper biker'.

Seconds later I watched as he toppled over to the left and hit the ground with a crash! As I jogged nearer he picked himself up, dusted himself down, picked up his bike, jumped back on and rode away rather quickly!

The second encounter was on the footpath looping back from Shelford. I was following a track, which veered off to the right. My path carried straight on, but as I jogged past I noticed a couple of blokes following the path to the right. They had a large bundle with them and I realised to my horror that it was loads of dead rabbits strung up together!

As I ran off I made as much noise as I could and must have looked a sight, running along coughing, stamping, singing and clapping loudly but hopefully it made a few bunnies sit tight underground and away from their guns!

Sunday was another good gym session with some hill work on the treadmill. Today was going to be a rest day but the Biggest Loser is on so I may watch it from my elliptical trainer... I don't really like the format of that show. I don't think it's a good idea to force very overweight people to go from nothing to several hours exercise per day, and to exercise to the point of throwing up. They are not going to be abe to sustain that level of exercise when they go home.

Nor di I agree with the amount of weight they are expected to lose each week. Okay, 7lbs to 9lbs is achievable on the first week of a diet as it's mainly water loss, but expecting that kind of loss every week?!? And some of them were gutted to 'only' lose 7lbs! I don't think those losses are healthy as there is a risk that it will be muscle mass that's lost, ie the body will effectively start to eat itself...

However- it is strangely compulsive viewing!

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?