Saturday, February 19, 2011

 

Finally- Proper Training!

Since my last post I have actually been training more than I have done for ages! I have been to the gym and done a combination of speed work (well, slightly faster work) and hill work on the treadmill, and on Tuesday I ran for 5 miles on pavement which was much more than I had done for a long while. Still a long way to go but feels as though I'm getting there!

Last Friday I had the day off work, so walked down to Radcliffe-on-Trent to meet a colleague who wanted me to show her the cliff path. We walked the length of it but didn't cross the fields to the Trent as it was rather muddy- we walked back and paid a surprise call to an ex-colleague and had a look at the Devon Rex cats she breeds.

I jogged home and made up the distance by running round the lake at the watersports centre.

I woke up this morning knowing I had to do 13/ 14 miles today at least- it was absolutely pouring with rain, I could hear it dripping off the roof and hitting the ground. I really didn't want to go out but managed to find some motivation hiding somehwere (back of the wardrobe I think!) and, steeling my resolve, I braved the elements.

It wasn't too bad once I'd got out there- which is always the case- I decided on as mud-free route I could find as I didn't fancy getting caked, so set off up the canal, running and walking. I emerged near Cotgrave, and took a left towards Radcliffe, cutting up the byway connecting the A52 with the back road to Radcliffe past Holme Pierrepont.

It had actually stopped raining by now but was a bit chilly. I took a left down to the watersports centre and ran most of the way round the lake again- noticing quite a few cormorants gliding over the water. To make the route a bit further, I followed the Trent down under Lady Bay Bridge (part of the Robin Hood Marathon route) before following the intermittent path by the canal parellel with the A52. This was my least favourite part of the walk though as all I could hear was the constant roar of cars- makes you wonder where everyone is going!

I lengthened the route even more by walking up to Morrisons as I needed a few bits- fought my way around the store looking like god-knows-what, found a counter that wasn't too busy, plonked my stuff on the conveyer belt, took my bum bag off so that I could get my purse out to pay... purse? Oh b*gger! It's still in my hand bag at home!

I had to abandon my shopping and limp home empty handed...

The Belvoir Challenge is two weeks today and hopefully I have done enough to prepare for it- I am hoping that the rain holds off for a couple of weeks though to give the fields chance to dry out a bit!

Labels:


Comments:
Sorry to have neglected the blog for a while Steph.

Man Flu, and a broken PC have curtailed me a bit.

Good luck with Belvoir.

Are you doing the Three Shires in April, as that's my next challenge ?
 
Hi Ross
Thanks and good to hear from you, hope you are feeling much better now there have been some particularly nasty ailments going around and it sounds as though you got more than your fair share!

I'd love to do the Three Shires, unfortunately I will be away that weekend, booked a holiday in Italy sounds a really good one though- good luck!

I'm doing the Grindleford Gallop and possibly the Charnwood Marathon too but not yet booked it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?