Tuesday, February 21, 2012

 

Apologies For The Absence... Again!

Seriously, I must write more often... the last couple of weeks has been filled with work, training (not too hard) and a trip to Blackpool to see my sister. Luckily her and my Brother-in-Law are a lot keener on walking than sight seeing on Blackpool prom, so we did a little amble in the Forest of Bowland area- they are so lucky, they live within an hour's drive of the Forest of Bowland, the Dales and the Lakes...

It was a bit overcast, we set off on an 8 mile route my Brother-in-Law devised which took in fellside, fields and a cafe.

                                          Forest Of Bowland Scenery

After climbing and traversing fell side, we had quite a lot of squelching through fields and farmland. I was particularly impressed with one exclusive looking housing estate that had the best footpath signs I have ever come across.


They obviously like horses too judging by the sign and the rather classy statue at the end of the drive...

We were seriously impressed... until we reached the end of the drive and saw the massive Man United emblems built in to the wrought iron gates... kind of spoilt the effect rather!

After a welcome cuppa and teacake at The Applestore in Wyresdale, we tackled Nicky Nook fell. I've been up here several times before, but we came down by a differen route, past Grize Dale Reservoir and through a lovely permissive path back through the woods to the car.


The good news is I have been going out for 5 mile more runs than walk, and so far so good with the knee. I wanted to do a longish walk prior to the Belvoir Challenge, but this hasn't really happened- I felt rough on Sunday with a cold so only did 10 miles, and my social life has been rather hectic too.

The Belvoir Challenge route is on their web site... and I must say, it's not great news. Both the 15 and the 26 mile routes follow each other for around 8-9 miles, and share the first checkpoint. Given that there will be hundreds and hundreds of entrants, many of them runners (and therefore faster than me) that means that the first few miles, and the checkpoint, will be extremely busy and very churned underfoot. The last time the routes stayed together for so long was the only year I didn't complete the event, and I think it was partly due to me losing so much time waiting for over 20 minutes to cross a stile (ok that and the fact that I was pathetically unfit...)

In my opinion it would have been better to have reversed one of the distances so we are not all setting off in the same direction... but it is what it is and I will just have to make the best of it!

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?