Monday, March 18, 2013

 

Jogging On...

Well I'm still here... still training... okay not doing as much as I could as life just gets in the way sometimes and I do want a bit of a social life!

I was hoping to do the Charnwood Marathon this weekend but have a family 'do' now so will have to give it a miss- so will need to plan in a walk of equal or greater length or toughness if I am to have any chance at all of cracking the full 29 miles of the Three Shires on April 6th (Can you believe it's the middle of March already... where is the year going!?!)

I have been jogging- back up to around 5 miles which is great. And keeping up the longer walks at the weekend. Last Saturday saw me back at my old stamping ground, Bradgate Park, doing my old circuit which takes in all of the steep climbs, before going to tea at my friend's house in Loughborough.

This weekend I chose a 17 - 18 mile route I have done once before. Starting at Radcliffe-on-Trent and taking the Trent Valley way along the cliff top and river towards Shelford. It was wet and miserable when I started out, although it did improve later on. I appreciated the flask of coffee I took with me.

After Shelford there is a very muddy bridleway (two brave riders past me on rain streaked horses and we exchanged a cheery 'hi') before a steep ascent to the road.

Still following the Trent Valley Way, the route plunges downhill, past the remains of a windmill and a cross country course, before climbing again to descend through woodland to a main road.

Once across this, I entered East Bridgford and followed a 5 mile walk from John Merrill's book 'Short Walks in Nottinghamshire'. This takes in the cliff path above the River Trent and the views are excellent.

                                         East Bridgford

The weather was looking a lot brighter, but as I started to descend towards the bridleway that would take me back to East Bridgford I encountered my old enemy. No, not cows, or even stairs, but mud. Really slidy, slippery mud.

It took me about 10 minutes to gingerly creep sideways down the hill, grabbing hold of anything that might give me some traction. When I finally reached the bridleway it wasn't much better. I can only hope that walking uphill whilst desperately trying not to slide back down again is good for the fitness!!

                                         Views From The Cliff Top Path

It was a relief to see East Bridgford again and retrace my steps to the windmill and the road, stopping to admire a couple of riders put their mounts through their paces over the water jumps on the cross country course.

I took the bridleway past RAF Newton and its abandoned army buildings, there seems to be some kind of development taking place here but I am not sure what.

I actually managed to run along the A52, all the way back from the hamlet of Saxondale to the centre of Radcliffe, which pleased me as I had also managed some other shambling little trots between bouts of mud. I was undecided as to whether to present my mud splattered self in the local Co-op to get a few groceries but decided that the village probably needed a little entertainment...


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?