Sunday, July 21, 2013

 

A Double Whammy In The Heat

Last Saturday saw the running (well, walking) of the White Peak Challenge, which I promise I will write up soon... I will just sum it up in one word for now... HOT!!!

The weekend before I had a rare weekend with nothing planned and no demands on my time, so I decided to go out Saturday and Sunday... it was well and truly into the heatwave, so scorching temperatures. I packed plenty of water and slathered on the sun block.

For Saturday's route I intended to follow the 10 mile Big Track route, along the banks of the River Trent, to Beeston Canal and back along the canal to the Trent. It's 10 miles, plus another three to walk to the start at County Hall and back. I could feel the sun beating down on my back as I set off, and realised I was sweating already- we don't often get weather like this in the UK!

I set off over the Suspension Footbridge and jogged along the path by the embankment;

                                                   Suspension Footbridge

There is a brief spell walking along a bike path by the road, before leaving the traffic to pass under the huge high bridge carrying the A52 over the canal, and then, mercifully, open countryside is reached with views over the heavily wooded banks to Clifton Hall. I passed a gorgeous field of red poppies.

I made myself jog as much as I was able, and soon found myself sweating and blowing in the heat. I had promised myself a cup of coffee at the cafe at Beeston Locks, but was so thirsty I had to chase it with a cool coke.

I followed Beeston Canal back into Nottingham, passing narrow boats, canoes, baby geese and cygnets, as it became increasingly busier. Loads of people were out taking advantage of the hot weather, so it was quite a surprise to come across this chap, who didn't seem at all bothered by me walking past him.

I was almost too embarrassed to call in and get some milk in West Bridgford as I was so sweaty and probably smelt so bad...

Funnily enough, I walked up my stretch of canal later on and saw another heron.

Sunday I decided to go through the fields, past Tollerton, up through Clipston Woods, into Cotgrave and then to Holme Pierrepont- it was the annual Outlaw Triathlon and I wanted to see it.

It was another blisteringly hot day, and I felt for those brave souls doing the Outlaw- it's an Iron distance course, so undertaking a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride and 26.2 mile run in these temperatures would be brutal!

The fields were lovely, with a smattering of poppies;

Some paths through crops were better maintained than others though...

                                                     Bad Path

                                          Good Path
It was marginally cooler in the woods, although only slightly, and I made myself run uphill.There was a glorious view over Cotgrave.


I found a lovely spot in a field for lunch, with a vantage point over the fields and Tollerton airfield towards Nottingham;

Unfortunately we need to treasure this view while we can... it is green belt land, but the council are intending to build up to 4,400 houses on the airfield by 2026, so there will be a huge housing development, factories etc right in the middle of this view...

But not today. I savoured it as I made my way back down and across the fields to Cotgrave, stopping to buy some more water to replenish my diminishing supplies.

I carried on past the canal, towards the A52 and the track leading to Holme Pierrepont and the Watersports centre.

                                          Grantham Canal
As I reached the road a steady stream of cyclists passed me sporting Outlaw race numbers... I cut through to the lake, and walked along the grass, cheering the runners on- what an amazing feat, especially in this heat. It was too early for finishers yet, so I walked round the foot of the lake, past the bike transition area, clapping and cheering athletes coming in from the bike leg to start the run.

As I turned for home for a meal and a cool shower, I said to myself- 'one day...'




Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?