Sunday, June 10, 2007

 

Off On Holiday!!!

Right... this is it... in just a few hours I will be boarding the National Express to Heathrow, to catch my flight to Casablanca and ultimately Marrakech!

I have had a major panic over packing- my four season sleeping bag is really bulky! (And I have realised what FUN it is going to be, stuffing the thing back into it's stuff sack every morning...) I have ended up with my canvas bag for the trek, plus rucksack as hand luggage (as long as it's not to big/ bulky!) which isn't too bad... not sure what I'll do if I end up buying anything though!

Our tour itinary is as follows;
Day 1; Arrive Marrakech, check in hotel
Day 2; Morning in Marrakech, drive to Imlil, walk for approx 1 hour to Aremd
Day 3; Trek to Ouanskera over Tizi n'Tamertert into the Imenane Valley, walking approx 4 hours
Day 4; Demanding day's walk, starting with steep ascent, to Iabessene, via Tachedirt and Tizi n' Tachedirt, walking approx 6-7 hours
Day 5; Walk to Oukaimeden, via Tizi Mzlee, Agounss and Tizi n' Ouatter, walking approx 7 hours
Day 6; Free day in Oukaimeden, with optional walk up Jebel Oukaimeden (4 hours round trip) for stunning panoramic views
Day 7; Demanding day walking through Amskere through juniper forests. Head up to the Tizi-Aguersioual, walking approx 7-9 hours
Day 8; Head for Tizi-Oussem after crossing the pass at Tizi-Oudite, relaxing afternoon with the possibility of a short walk up the valley or visit to the village Hamman (think this might be a Turkish Bath!)
Day 9; Trek to Aremd via Tizi Mzik, rest of afternoon free in Aremd
Day 10; Trek to Toukbal Refuge up the Mizane Valley, via Sidi Charamouch, walking approx 4-5 hours Day 11; Optional attempt of Jebel Toukbal, North Africa's highest peak, (4165m)
Day 12; Walk to Aremd and Imlil, drive to Marrakech
Day 13; Free in Marrakech
Day 14; Come home!

No idea how to pronounce the village names!! Morocco is an hour behind us, time wise... I've looked at the weather site, weather for the next week appears to be warm (24-26) and sunny! Actually I hope it is hot- be good practice for 2009!

I really hope I get to the top of Jebel Toukbal. I am now worrying that everybody is going to be much fitter than me!! Poor Lucky is not going to be happy as Katie will need to take her to the cattery Friday- they are going to Norfolk while I'm away.

I doubt whether I will be able to update this before I return- so I will give a quick outline when I get back and go into more detail for each day. With photos!

See you when I get back!

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
Good luck with the trek Steph!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?